Well, depending on how flexible you are right now, I suppose.
But here it is, my favorite stretching routine. Takes about 15 minutes, so before you start, make a stretching playlist of your five favorite songs 🙂
(My music suggestions:
Happy by Pharrel Williams
Young and Beautiful by Lana Del Rey
Back to Black by Amy Winehouse
Dog Days are Over by Florence and the Machine
Mambo Italiano by Dean Martin )
Ok here we go. Remember to breathe, people. And please, for the love of all things chocolate, keep your knees straight.
1. Stand up straight, feet squeezed together, arms above your head. Bend over and touch your toes. (Or ankles, shins, or knees, depending on flexibility.) hold for thirty seconds.
2. Straighten up and spread your feet about two shoulder-widths, enough that you can bend over and put your hands on the floor. Stretch over your right leg for fifteen seconds. Then the left.
3. Put your palms on the floor, weight on your hands. Rotate your legs so that your toes are up to the ceiling. Slide as far into the middle splits as you can go. Hold for thirty seconds.
Leaning forward over your hands helps. If you try to keep your back straight in this one, you’ll fall backwards.
4. Sit back, keeping your legs out wide. Back up straight, hands in front of you. Hold for thirty second, then stretch out a tiny bit farther. Stretch over your legs, holding for thirty seconds each. Then over the middle for 30. Make sure to bend at the hips, trying not to round your back over.
5. Stretch out a little farther and repeat #4.
6. SLOWLY bring your legs together. Hug one knee to your chest, then the other.
Are you still breathing? You’re not, are you? In. Out. In. Out. There we go.
7. Butterfly stretch for 30 seconds. Bottoms of the feet together, trying to get your knees to touch the ground.
8. Up on your knees, not sitting on them, one knee up.
9. Rock forward over your knee, trying to get your back leg straight while keeping your front foot flat on the floor. Then rock backwards, sitting on your back heel, straightening your front leg and stretching over it.
10. Repeat #9 one more time.
11. Put one hand on either side of your legs and slide into your scissor splits, keeping the weight on your hands. Hold for 30-45 seconds.
This is the part where you sing along to your music to avoid thinking about the pain.
12. Relax for just a second, then repeat steps 8-11 for your other leg.
13. Butterfly stretch one more time.
Tah-dah! 13 steps, 2-3 times a week. I promise you your flexibility will improve drastically in 4 months or less.
Any questions? Anything to add? Any other tutorials you would like to see? Comment away!